ISTANBUL/RIYADH: Fears are growing over missing Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi, after Turkish officials said they believed he had been murdered.
Mr Khashoggi, a Saudi national, went missing after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Tuesday.
The Washington Post said it would be a “monstrous and unfathomable act” if he had been killed.
A Turkish official told the BBC that initial investigations indicated he was murdered there.
Saudi Arabia has denied the accusations, saying it is “working to search for him”.
An official of Turkey’s ruling AK Party told broadcaster CNN Turk there was concrete evidence in the case, although none has yet been presented.
Turkey can search consulate
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said Friday he is ready to allow Turkey to search the Saudi consulate in Istanbul
“The premises are sovereign territory, but we will allow them to enter and search and do whatever they want to do,” Prince Mohammed said in a Bloomberg interview. “We have nothing to hide.”
Khashoggi has not been seen since he went to the Saudi mission on Tuesday to receive an official document for his marriage.
The Turkish-Arab Media Association (TAM) organised a rally Friday in front of the consulate for Khashoggi, a former government adviser who has been critical of some policies of bin Salman and Riyadh’s intervention in the war in Yemen.
As Kislakci spoke, supporters held up images of the journalist, with the words “Free Jamal Khashoggi.”
“We believe that Jamal Khashoggi is the consulate’s ‘host’ and call for his immediate release, or to tell us where he is,” Kislakci added.